Monday, September 30, 2013

A summer spent abroad.

My brother is a freshman at ASU and is looking at changing his major to English (from business). It makes sense for him because he wants to build a career in publishing. We were discussing a lot of the decisions he's going to need to make in the next few weeks. We spent some time talking about the options about studying abroad, of which ASU offers a monumental list of options! I spent a summer session in Lyon, France a few years ago and it was by far one of the most amazing experiences of my life.


Lyon is the second biggest city (after Paris) in France, but still feels quaint and village like. We studied at the Université Lumiere Lyon 2 and not one of my professors knew any english. We were talking about the benefits surrounding living and studying in a country that has a different language. I've never really put too much thought in it (shocking if you know me and that I overthink EVERYTHING) that I lived, studied, and did really well in a country place where no one knew english. Seriously, it's not like Paris where everyone speaks english too, Lyon is straight french. I highly recommend studying abroad to everyone who is tossing around the idea. Even traveling abroad, to a place where they don't speak english and immersing yourself in their world for a few days is lifechanging. Don't try to find the people that speak english, practice a new skill, have an adventure!




2 comments:

  1. I recommend living abroad. I lived abroad for 5 months in the fall to attend Nan Jing University in China an had a blast. But, because my family lived overseas, I guess you could say is spend many a summer "abroad". Even though I often would work or do internships, I always looked at it as going home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great experience! I'm looking forward to possibly working abroad after graduation maybe in Russia or South America. I've started learning Russian to prep for the travels and it is difficult to say the least. But with any language they say the best way to learn to emerse yourself in the culture. I can't wait. Thank you for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete