Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Looking back...

Knowing that I was going to be writing this blog later on, I wrote quick summaries of my weeks as I went along with the City of Casa Grande. I started my internship in the beginning of March and gave my final presentation to City Council on August 5th. I am going to be including some of those summaries as the semester continues and I will elaborate on some of the details now that time has passed and I may (or may not) have a different perspective.

Let's start at the beginning, shall we?

Week One and Two:


"Parking at city hall to begin my first day of my internship, I felt nervous but excited for the opportunities I was going to be given. The City of Casa Grande has worked to build a strong internship under the City Manager, Jim Thompson, also a professor at Arizona State University in the Masters of Public Administration program. Upon gaining access to my email account, I was ready to begin my fist assignment. I was starting with a project for the Economic Development/Airport Manager. I dove right in and began my assignment researching lease agreements for valley airports and doing a comparison to Casa Grande Municipal Airport (CGZ). 

After quick completion of the majority of my first assignment, sitting in on the Mayor address to the City, and meeting a few of the City Council members, week two brought more meetings, more research for the airport, and Informational Briefing meetings. An informational briefing is when different agencies in the City are able to come and update 3 members of City Council on their progress and current assignments. It allows the council to remain up to date and ask any questions they might have so they can accurately discuss anything that may come up with concerned citizens."


When I dove into the first assignment, it went quickly. I was able to find a lot of information and draft new leases for the city airport hangars. It led to further research and drafting later on with the Through-The-Fence project. Airports are fascinating, especially the city run airports. Many people don't realize that there are positions that are necessary and well compensated. Later, when discussing my placement with a consultant, I will discuss this in more detail.

Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cassie, good blog! Interestingly, just found that there are two of you having internship with City of Casa Grande. You two probably already know each other! Look forward to reading your internship blog!

    ReplyDelete