Tuesday, November 26, 2013

In the end....


 This entire internship experience was so beneficial! I learned so much and I grew with the variety of projects and assignments I was able to work on. My initial goals after my interview were as follows: 
  • Learn of various departments of the City, especially those I know I wouldn't necessarily enjoy (aka, water treatment). I continuously want to expand my comfort zone and learn about things that don't necessarily come easily to me or appeal immediately to my interests. 
  • Present to City Council in a formal setting. Although my previous internship had me presenting to superiors regularly, there is a difference when presenting in a public setting with elected officials. Learning the skills and needs of public presentations and practicing those skills is imperative for a future career in city management.
  • Better understand the needs of a smaller community. I'm a Arizona native and frequently visited Casa Grande while growing up. However, it's certainly a different type of city than where I grew up in Mesa or when I worked in Scottsdale. I wanted to better experience and understand the differences between the communities I knew and the one I would be working in. 
I The City gave me the opportunity to work with or observe multiple departments in the city, even if I didn't do a project with them, I was able to tour or learn about their projects. This variety in assignments allowed me to go outside of City Hall and experience the differences in the community structure from what I was accustomed to. I had opportunities to talk to community members and see what a tight-knit community feels like. My last day with City of Casa Grande I was able to present to City Council on a lease agreement that needed to be approved with Casa Grande Mainstreet. City Council meetings are televised and put online for public viewing afterwards. It was an interesting experience to be sitting up with council in the front of the room as a staff member presenting. They asked a couple of questions in a joking manner and it passed 7-0. Talk about a great first experience presenting to council! 

All in all, it was so much better than I ever could have imagined. I had opportunities that I never could have imagined that will undoubtedly benefit me in the future. 

4 comments:

  1. Awesome work Cassie! Sounds like your experience with Casa Grande couldn't have gone better. I've yet to experience presenting in front of an elected panel like that so I find your experience very exciting. I'm glad the city council didn't give you a hard time, I think I'd feel very intimidated by the whole ordeal but nonetheless this is what were signing up for right? Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your internship sounds like it went amazingly! What are your plans for the future? Because you had such a great experience do you think you will stay in the city of Casa Grande? I really enjoy working with local governments as well. I feel like you are able to get things better accomplished and everyone wants you to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great experience! Presenting in front of Council is a great experience that you will definitely use in the future! It seems like you had a really great internship opportunity to add to your other great experiences....good luck in your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see you gained so much from your internship, especially being able to present in front of City Council, I bet that was fantastic. Good luck in your future aspirations and I hope the experiences you gained through this class will help you get where you want to be.

    ReplyDelete